In this short story “A Pillar of Humaneness”.
I try to emphasize in this short story about being observant. It is a lesson every day as a mother, I try to teach my 9 years OLD Bianca. Life is about seeing hearing the silent languages, feeling the pain without words through body language. Being compassionate to those silent noises, one can help humanity. “A Pillar of Humaneness” brings this lesson to light.
I saw an old friend,
at the local Greek eatery.
Something about his presence
His head hung with heaviness.
His slouched body void of noise.
He sat quietly just sipping a glass of merlot.
But yet, the place was noisy, buzzing with conversation.
People sat on both sides of him,
and not one conversed with him.
I stood there in awe, just watching.
It was like black and white.
The black of a sad quietness.
And the white noise of happiness.
Such a contrast to my eyes and ears.
It wasn’t as if he’s hidden,
in some dark corner of the restaurant.
He was in the midst of it all.
A pillar of humaneness.
I approached him softly, leaning in, whispering his name.
He heard me and lifted his head.
With softness in my voice, “How are you?
“Not good, I’m suffering! Two of my friends passed,” he said.
Gently, I placed my hand on his back,
softly caressing his back as I listen to his story.
Tears spilled down his cheeks.
I soothed him with words, calming his hurt.
He grabbed my hand and held it.
Of all the people here,
you’re the only one who heard my heart crying.
©Linda J. Wolff 2017
|A Pillar of Humaneness|
A little short story.
THINGS TO DO HERE:
- If You’re New to My Poetry Blog: Don’t forget to SIGN-IN on the Meet-Up Page to connect with other wonderful bloggers. Sign in Here – Meet Up
- Grab My 1st Edition Poetry eBook: Do you love reading poetry, or quotes? Of course, you do, or you wouldn’t be here reading Urban Poetry 2017. My 1st Edition of my first 50 pieces of poetry I have written is now available in a downloadable poetry eBook “Impressions of My Mind”—Amazon for .99cts. http://amzn.to/1tGqkQL
- Grab a Cell Phone Case or Handbag with my Quotes & Digital Designs: Do you love viewing creative digital art? I’m offering my quotes and digital designs on designer cross body bags, cell phone cases, etc. Click Here – Urban Poetry & Fashion Accessories.
- Click the Follow Button: If you enjoy DIGITAL DESIGNS, HAIKU, POETRY, QUOTES… Be sure to click the follow up at the top right-hand corner.
- Let’s connect on Social Media: I would love to connect with you on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram also. Find me here on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
—a digital art and poetry WordPress blog—