A free verse poetry, “Was This Just Apple Pie?”
A humorous little ditty about apple pie. We grow up with favorite foods, the familiarity of SWEET scents, and happiness that mothers create. And when we grow older, it’s the memories we hold on to in our hearts. Hope you enjoy this free verse poetry.
Was this just apple pie?
I think not. It was more.
As a child, it held secrets.
Secrets laced with cinnamon and love.
It came in layers too.
Each bite better than the next.
Mom would tease us first.
Giving us samples of raw apples,
smothered with cinnamon and sugar.
Then dose after dose I would eat more:
Like a drug addict. Addicted to meth.
I ate it till I was sick.
But that didn’t stop me.
It was the intoxicating smell too.
The smell that leaked from
that damn box in the kitchen,
filling the kitchen with warmth,
and sickening sweetness.
Then down the hallway,
and engulfing the living room too.
I had to run into my room.
I had to escape it.
I tried to read a book.
But then it slid under the door too.
Right into my bed and up to my nostrils. DAMN. It got me.
I heard a noise.
It was the timer to that box that held the apple pie.
I thought I would die.
Because now that smell would be
even more intoxicating.
I heard mom open that damn box.
And then she yelled; “Come and get it.”
I ran to the door, opened it as fast as I could.
Down the hallway, I went with lightning speed.
Into the kitchen, I find my place at the table first.
Mom pushed over a dish. There it was.
Hot apple pie a la mode. I’M ADDICTED.
©Linda J. Wolff 2017
|Was This Just Apple?|
A free verse poetry.
A drug induced by Mother’s and Love…American Made. “Apple Pie.”
THINGS TO DO HERE:
- If You’re New to My Poetry Blog: Don’t forget to SIGN-IN on the Meet-Up Page to connect with other wonderful bloggers. Sign in Here – Meet Up
- Grab My 1st Edition Poetry eBook: Do you love reading poetry, or quotes? Of course, you do, or you wouldn’t be here reading Urban Poetry 2017. My 1st Edition of my first 50 pieces of poetry I have written is now available in a downloadable poetry eBook “Impressions of My Mind”—Amazon for .99cts. http://amzn.to/1tGqkQL
- Grab a Cell Phone Case or Handbag with my Quotes & Digital Designs: Do you love viewing creative digital art? I’m offering my quotes and digital designs on designer cross body bags, cell phone cases, etc. Click Here – Urban Poetry & Fashion Accessories.
- Click the Follow Button: If you enjoy DIGITAL DESIGNS, HAIKU, POETRY, QUOTES… Be sure to click the follow button up at the top right-hand corner.
- Let’s connect on Social Media: I would love to connect with you on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, SoundCloud, YouTube also. Find me here on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, SoundCloud Audio Poetry Recitals, and my YouTube Channel Urban Poetry TV.
- Poetry – Talking Sparrows
- Poetry – Survive and Thrive, Red Rose
- Poetry – Smiling Origami Swan
- Poetry: My Flaming SongBird
—a digital art and poetry WordPress blog—
was this just apple pie? poetry, free verse poetry, food poems, love, mother’s, happiness, baking apple pie, apple pie, daily prompt, post a day,